Tuesday, January 7, 2014

barbie house

For Christmas this year, we decided to give the girls a Barbie house.
At first my husband was going to make a dresser for it but then I found the perfect armoire on Craigslist.  My hubby painted it, took one shelf out and repositioned the other shelf to create two levels.  He also added some flooring to the lower level, changed out the hardware and made the kitchen counter.  We bought some furniture that I found on Etsy and added a coat of paint to those as well.  I then had fun making quilts, pillows, rugs, wall decor, etc for the house.  The dolls and clothes are stored in the drawers underneath.  I love that this just looks like a piece of furniture and you can't tell that Barbies reside here!

Armoir dresser barbie house

A little tour of the house...

barbie house kitchen

I made the couch by cutting some foam I had on hand and covering it with fabric.
I then hot glued the pieces together.

barbie house living room

The rug is three long fabric strips braided together, and I again used hot glue to form a round rug.
The wall hanging above the couch is fabric-covered cardboard.

barbie house furniture

This quilt was made using half-square triangles leftover from this project.
The wall hangings are just cardboard covered with washi tape.
The dresser is two little wooden drawers from Joann glued together and painted.

barbie bedroom

patchwork quilt and pillows for barbie

barbie bedroom

Making the parts for this house was a great way to use up some of my scrap fabric.
This rug was made using the quilt-as-you-go method.

barbie house details

More scrappy quilts.

barbie house quilts

barbie house bunting

The Barbies are all moved in and enjoying their new home!  :)

Barbie house armoir

linking to Quilt Story

Thursday, January 2, 2014

more Simply Sweet tunics

Happy New Year!  I hope you had an enjoyable holiday season.  We had a great time spending Christmas with my family in Saskatchewan, then back home to have a quiet New Year's Eve.

So I showed you this Simply Sweet tunic a few months back.  However, I didn't get around to posting about the other two I made.  It started with a box of fabric...a mystery box from Craftsy.  I ordered it not knowing what fabric I would be getting but it was a good deal so I went for it.


These two shirts were made using fabric from that box.



All three girls have been getting much use from their shirt.
I've definitely got my money's worth from this pattern!